C4F Developer Kit - Where are the Developers?

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM
First, I would like to congratulate Microsoft for making this developer kit available.  My current interest - TAPI - has been well served by the Telephony API / Telephony Sample Application contained in this release.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the Telephony Sample Application to actually work; it appears to me to be an application that was removed from the oven before it was fully cooked.  (Not fully debugged; I think there are whole pieces that are NOT implemented.)  And in fact I doubt that it could ever work, given this Microsoft Help and Support article (see link below) which indicates that TAPI functionality is not supported from managed code.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841712

My concern is that the C4F Developer Kit - like many other Microsoft products (in my perception anyway) - has been placed in the public domain and that there isn't a way to communicate with the original developers to express issues / provide feedback.  As with most Microsoft software, our only recourse is to resort to "peer to peer" support.

Sadly, if you look at the C4F Developer Kit "Discussions" list, you will find that there is not a lot of activity / participation.  If you ask a question, or try to engage someone by providing a response to one of their questions, it can take weeks / months before you receive a response.

And, if you view the C4F Developer Kit "People" list you will find that there are 2 coordinators:  "dhandler" and "Microsoft".  When you view each of their profiles, you find "Prefers not to be contacted" listed under contact information.  Neither of them have had recent activity (within the last 60 days).

As somebody who wishes to develop an application using Microsoft tools and for release on the Microsoft platform, I would hope that Microsoft could be a little bit more supportive...