This project is read-only.

### Wake Computer From Standby ###

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Hi, Im new to this and sorry if this is a stupid question...

I have got the computer to sleep with the 'Power Manager' tool, and don't know how to got the computer to automatically wake up at a certain time. Is there a way of getting the computer to automatically wake up at a specified time?

Hope so... I need it for my computer alarm clock...

Thankyou,
fish,
Oct 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I think you could do what you want using either of the following:

• BIOS Configuration Settings
  • Task Scheduler (a component of Windows)

BIOS Configuration Settings

You should be able to go into your computer's BIOS and find a submenu that deals with Power Management.  In that submenu you should be able to specify things like how deeply the computer sleeps when it goes to sleep - it should have states like S1, S3 and S5.  You may also find descriptions using acronyms STR (Suspend To RAM) & POS (Power On Standby).  In addition, you may have the option of specifying HOW you want power management handled (i.e. using the older "APM" or the newer "ACPI").

Anyway, there may be an option that allows you to wake the computer at a scheduled time - either everyday, on weekdays, or on one particular day per month.

Task Scheduler

Using the Windows Task Scheduler, you should be able to create a task that specifies the option "Wake the Computer to run this task".

To get to it:

Under Windows XP:
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Scheduled Tasks

Under Windows Vista (a couple of different ways):
Start | Administrative Tools | Task Scheduler
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Task Scheduler

Once in the Task Scheduler application, do the following:

1. Create a new task & give it a name & description
  2. Indicate that you want it to run daily at your chosen time
  3. Tell it what you want it to do (under Vista, you can just do something trivial like displaying a message on the screen; under XP, you may have to actually run a program - you could run "notepad" harmlessly...)
  4. Edit the task's properties and specify the advanced option:  "Wake the computer to run this task" (under Vista; should be similar for XP).
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:20 PM
Thanks, :)

do you have any idea how to go about that(getting the BIOS thing?
In the meantime, I will serach loads of menus to find the BIOS... :(

Thankyou for replying :)
Oct 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I suggest that you go here to learn more about what a computer's BIOS is:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

The technique for getting into the BIOS (and adjusting its settings) varies from one PC manufacturer to another (or from one motherboard manufacturer to another).  On one of my computers, you tap the <DEL> key at a certain point during the machine startup (before Windows begins to load); on my other computers you tap the <F2> function key during the startup.

Similarly, the settings available & how they are implemented vary also from one manufacturer's BIOS to another.

You don't seem to be all that familiar with computers; I need to advise you that you can make your computer inoperable if you change settings in the BIOS without understanding what you're doing.  If you choose the BIOS route, limit the changes you make to the <Wake computer @ time> thing and don't change anything else.  You will likely be tempted to change other stuff; don't do so without writing the original settings down first.

My recommendation for you is to use the Task Scheduler method (in Windows) rather than going into the BIOS; I think you'll find that it's way more flexible should you want to do fancier things - like specifying a more complex schedule (e.g. more than once a day, or only on certain days each week/month/year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS